Procedure for concerns about a child’s welfare (I-ART)
- The nursery manager (or Deputy Manager in their absence) must be informed immediately of any concerns regarding the welfare of a child.
- After consideration and observation, the Nursery Manager must report these concerns to the Integrated Access and Referral Team (i-ART). Advice and guidance offered by I-ART will always be followed.
Integrated Access and Referral Team (I-ART)
- 0300 123 7047
Emergency Duty Team (EDT)
- 01244 977277 (out of hours for Cheshire west and Chester)
- 0845 4580000
- The nursery manager must put a referral in within 48hours
- A social worker and the nursery manager will acknowledge receipt of the referral and a decision on the next course of action will be made within one working day.
- An initial assessment will be made
- If concerns are of a sexual nature, or the child is at risk, the parents/carers will not be approached prior to contacting i-ART
- Other concerns will be discussed with the parent/carer, an agreement will be sought and the reason for making the referral explained. If the parents/carers do not agree that the safety of the child is paramount, their wishes may be discounted.
- Confidentiality is crucial in all matters and written records will be locked away.
Procedure for allegations against a member of staff (LADO)
- The nursery manager (or Deputy Manager in their absence) must be informed immediately of any concerns or allegations against a member of staff.
- The member of staff who is subject to the allegation will be suspended with immediate effect
- The nursery manager (or Deputy in their absence) must report the incident to the Local Authority Designated officer (LADO) within one working day
- The LADO will then advise on the best way to proceed with the referral
- OFSTED must then be informed as soon as possible, within 14 days of the incident occurring
- Confidentially is crucial in all matters and written records will be locked away
The Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) is based at:
The Children’s Safeguarding Unit
4, Civic Way [Floor 4]
Tel: 0151 337 4570
Vicky Hollins (Owner) and Sarah Wright (Nursery Manager) are also the safeguarding officers